Yield: 8 servings Prep Time: 30 minutes Cook Time: 1.75 to 2.25 hours*
1 (12 lb.) whole turkey (spatchcocked)
Charcoal grill or smoker-2 (2"x 3") piece of sugar maple wood (apple or any fruit also works well)
Gas grill-use GrillKicker or pellet tube
1/4 cup of Butcher Bird Booster
2 cups of water
1/4 lb. unsalted butter
- Mix injection in accordance to the label
- Spatchcock the turkey
- Have the legs facing away from you. Inject evenly from front to back with the grain of the meat. Inject each side of the breast evenly in 3 places. You will see the breast rise as you inject. Inject each thigh twice and inject the legs once or twice.
- Season the turkey, place in a pan, tent with foil and place in the fridge overnight. (note-for small birds 4 to 6 hours is enough)
- Bring the grill or smoker up to 300 to 325 degrees
- Place wood in grill or smoker
- Let the wood burn for 15 mins. before putting the turkey on to allow the smoke to clean up (white blue color)
- Prior to placing the turkey on the grill or smoker, inject the with melted butter in the same manner as the injection (note-allow the butter to cool slightly before injecting and get it on the preheated grill right away)
- Place breast side up
- Base a couple of times throughout the cook with melted butter or simply spray with “I Can’t Believe It’s Butter”
- When breast temp hits 165 degrees or higher (we bring to 170 to 175) remove from the grill and tent with foil and let it rest for 10-15 minutes and serve
*If you do not spatchcock the turkey your cook time will be extended so then figure approximately 1hr/4lbs.
Lard Have Mercy!!